
New Zealand one of my favourite places.
FEAR FACTOR
It
is very enlightening to know that even FEAR can make money. A lot of money.
Humans have evolved so much so that they eliminated or controlled all their
natural enemies. Apart from his own species, nothing can threaten to kill human
beings. They have developed skills and techniques to make a tiger dance like a
cat and a lion roll like a joker (if any was lucky enough to escape the
poachers). Why even the world’s largest animal, the whale also dives into the
depths of the ocean with its tail in its mouth when they see us. Only natural
disasters still remain as factors which make us fear now and then but these are
also well predicted and taken care of most of the time. Hence humans had lost
the sense of fear. But without fear there is no fun. So some great businessmen
found the demand and designed various games and even entire theme parks to scare
us to death. And we pay for it.
The
super-fast roller coasters, high as a mountain, drop you vertically at hundred
kilometers speed with twists and turns guaranteed to take the shit out of you,
the sky drops, base jumping, sky diving, the haunted castles, the ghost stories,
the horror movies, the Fear Factor, Lost TV series and then the BUNGEE JUMP. Yes, FEAR generates billions of
dollars. The more fear the more fun and the more money.
I
am not a Superman or an Indian film hero to smile at and fight the ultimate
fear. When I went to the kid’s heaven, Disney World in Orlando, it was so much
fun until I boarded a roller coaster called ‘Space Mountain’. I am not a very
big fan of roller coasters though I love speed. But since it was called Space
Mountain and showed posters of planets and stars, I thought they will slowly
take us through the parade of the planets and tell us about stars. Astronomy is
a large subject and takes a lot of time. So ate an extra-large burger and
entered.
Inquisitive
always and to be the first to explore, I took the first seat in the 5 seat
roller coaster. It started slowly and entered a dark area. I was eagerly
looking all around to see stars. I also gave a reassuring look to the young
girl who was a bit tensed up. Then the coaster plunged vertically into total
darkness at picking up extreme speed. Now I could see stars all over (I don’t
know if they were really there or just in my mind). It twisted, dropped, turned
sharply at a high speed. The girl who was sitting behind me started yelling
spine chillingly. I wanted to shout to her “chup, arre mujhe mat daraana meri amma”.
But my teeth were gripped too tight with fear all the time until the ride ended,
to make any sound. As the ride ended, I pretended unshaken and smiled at the
attendant. But jumped out quickly fearing they may send me for another round
thinking I didn’t get my bout of fear. Are yaar riding bolo, racing bolo ya
flying bolo subh kuch karsakta hun but
I don’t want to buy fear again. I had to eat the same burger twice as it came
out of my mouth as the ride ended.
Be
confident or act like one, no one can tell the difference. Somehow I always
managed to act confident and display a fearless look like the TERMINATOR on my
face and I never feared trying something new and adventurous all the time. So
when I came to New Zealand I found Taupo Bungee. Near the town of Taupo, it is one of the best places
to bungee jump in New Zealand because of its direct drop of 50metres into the emerald
green Waikato river. Very scary and very attractive
too.
I
am a hero you see, so I went straight to the girl at the booking counter and
asked her to book me for a jump. She said “Very nice, when you want to jump?” I
was about to say ‘right now’ when I heard a death cry “Eeeeeekkkkkkkkkkooooooooooohhhhhhhaaaaaaaa”.
I was confident that somebody slipped off the cliff and died. I was about to
run outside when the girl asked me again coolly “when do you want to jump?” I
told her that someone must have slipped off the cliff and fallen. She smiled “No,
no, don’t worry, it’s the bungee jumper”. I was relieved and laughing “Why
these timid girls come all the way and do these adventures when they are so
scared?” She gave a cute smile but there was some other feeling behind that
smile. She asked me again “so when you wanna jump?” I was about to
say “Right now” again when I heard another death cry, from a man this time
“Ooooh Godddddddd” as if he had
just seen God and went to heaven with him.
“Tomorrow”,
I finally managed to say gathering all my guts and trying to act as confident
as when I came in. “Today I am very busy” I really wanted to say I won’t jump
but I couldn’t look frightened before that nice girl. Each jump costs $100 that
in itself shows you how much fear you are buying. Then I went to the jumping
platform see people jumping off and to get used to it and gather some courage.
But as I saw each of them screaming at the top of their lungs, I was not very
sure if I wanted to show up the next day.

Waikato river invitingly (not me)
Next
day I came back. Not to jump but just to see more people jumping off and
screaming. I need at least that much sadistic entertainment for the money I
paid. But as yesterday’s girl saw me, she smiled and asked “Ok. Stand on the weighing machine please?” I
involuntarily stood on the weighing machine but finally shamelessly told her
that I am not going to jump. She smiled sympathetically and with a marker wrote
54kg on my arm. Then asked me for my belongings, nothing should be in the
pockets. Like a school boy who doesn’t
want to go to school but scared to say that to his mom knowing that he will be
sent anyway, I emptied my pockets into an envelop and stood there with sad and
frightened face unable to stop them from throwing me from that height.
Then
she asked me to follow her to the jumping platform (or should I say she dragged
me to the platform?) The platform itself is specially built extending 40 feet
into the air from the vertical rock face. Another attendant reconfirmed my
weight and started making arrangements. I was looking back and forth for a
chance to run away but they closed the gate (I think they sensed my ideas). I
was not even wearing shoes. I was just wearing my shorts and sandals thinking I
am not going to jump. What if the rope slips off my feet :(
She
attached the bungee cord to my ankles and seeing I was too tensed up, told me
“Don’t be afraid. There is an easy way to jump. Instead of looking down and
facing the depth, you just keep looking at my beautiful face and just fall
back. You will be down in no time”. I was fighting my own fear and trying to
win over it. So I absent mindedly said “I would rather face my own fear
and jump”. Bang! She was so angry and dumped the ropes there. She told the
other attendant “John you look after this guy” and went away. I told you she
was beautiful but I was really trying to face my own fear and win it. She
really misunderstood me. Now I am more scared as she might have attached the
rope to only one leg expecting to have great fun when I hang on one leg,
screaming.
Ready
for my first Bungee Jump
Then
the guys came and checked everything and told me “Ok now you walk to the edge put your
hands up and jump”. “Oh that’s all” with a Terminator face again. I took a deep
breath as if that’s my last and slowly walked to the edge. Unlike a school boy,
I always had the chance to quit but then some part of me is saying that I
should do it. I waved at the camera and wanted to jump like the Superman but I jumped
like Hanuman.
Then
as my feet left the platform, the time stopped. I was descending only inch by
inch in slow motion. It’s a free fall. It’s beyond ecstasy. The first time I
came all the way down, I enjoyed it in silence. But the bungee pulls you up
again a couple of times to almost half the height giving you the same feeling
all the time. Then I started laughing like hell with fun. As soon as I was on the
ground, I was running to take another jump
:)
We
should always have fear. We should respect fear. We should know our limits. And
then try to win over our fears and go beyond the limits. People associate
adventure with danger. Adventure is something done under complete safety. Of
course accidents do happen. But if you compare the number of deaths in road
accidents to the number of deaths of adventurers, you will know what I mean.
More safety more adventure. When I started the world tour everybody was so fear
struck and said why do you want to do such a dangerous thing? I always told
them that I am going to be much safer than many millions of Indian riders. As I
wear a helmet, gloves, shoes and safety gear all the time and ride according to
rules and particularly not in a hurry to reach. Whereas they never care to wear
even the helmet. Just a seat belt which lies on your side all the time can save
your life if an accident occurs. And if you still don’t care to wear it, you
are not only putting your life at danger but you don’t care for all those who
depend on you and love you. Life is so precious and you only have one to lose
because of a silly, avoidable mistake. So be safe, ride safe have a lot of
adventure in your life.


20 comments:
Hi, great to see you updating your site agian.
I've enjoyed following your travels.
Cheers,
Jason
Hi BJ,
Very interesting to read ur article. Ur journey is just fabulous. Ur thought process is amazing man. All the best.
Cheers,
Lakshmi.
Hi Bj,
Sooooooooooo gooooooood to c u mann!! this was highly awaited that u reach down under safely n der u are..Get ur karizma soon, i am anxiously awaiting to c it der.. Hw many kms have u clocked?? Wat problems wid d bike so far??
D way u write is truly amazing.. The fear thing was really really well written.. Dont forget to visit Invercargil in Newzie..thats d homeplace of Burt Munro, the worlds fastest Indian.. will be such a honor to visit that place. do find time mate..
And pl keep updating this blog on a regular basis. There r people like me who love reading ur tales n everytime u write something, d expectation just exceeds wer it began! so pl keep inking.
Until nxt time, Ride safe n wishing u d very best!
Lots of cheers,
Mehul.
Hi,
ur great man no words to say ur mind blowing,beaing in adventure sport i am thrilled all the best god bless u
lots n lots of cheers,
kiran
hey bj...
how are you doing?
man, i am so glad to see you back; completing your juorney (may i call it a dream)& back in India in one piece.
Read about you in bangalore on Times.. am happy for you.
My name is Prashant H Pillai; i bounced upon your blog when i was doing research for my ride; completed an all india solo ride covering all the states & ut's; compltd it on 29th sep, took 115 days to finish.
did read about your where abouts frm your blog.
http://prashanthpillai.blogspot.com
this is my blog id; its still being updated.
you take care
have loads of rest
three cheers to you dude...
prashant h pillai
Around the world on a motorcycle sounds great! Looks like paradise! I volunteer to be the first woman around the world on her Harley-Davidson Shovelhead LOL
Its been 3 months since November without any updates...
Please update your blog a bit more frequently bro...
Ride Safe
when are going to update the site today is 13/1/2008
wow BJ!!
you have traveled so many places by motorcycle!!
that is amazing!!
keep on traveling!!
Your nature is so fantastic.. As the man that is very wonderful world.. it must be so fresh there.. BikeBali
Bro! Hats off to your journey & to U!!! Words cannot explain your achievement. Really great going mate!
Ride safe! Enjoy riding! All the best...
I saw your tour now. That was great job, congratulations.
My first motorcycle was a Honda Cbf150 (Cbf150 is your tour bike's Turkish vernsion).
I am surfing on the web and see your blog site. That's very exciting for me.
Congratulations again for your brave.
(And sorry my bad English)
BJ, Great job! Absolutely fantastic. Ride on!
Hey dude amazing you have done, what a reallllllly adventures trip by bike alone GREAT dude. if you would ever come in Delhi i want to meet you.My name is amit pathak working as software developer and likes adventures tour. Amit pathak
Hi BJ,
Came across your blog today. Read a couple of posts. All I can say is, you are a true biker, not just in India, but in the world. Performing this feat takes more than a dream. Hats off to you. Do update in case you've taken anymore such trips.
Cheers,
Amod.
New Zealand is an awesome place specially for a biker.. I need to go back and just spend all the time on the bike ... crazy crazy place
you are awesome dude, what a trip you have done?
you are awesome dude, what a trip you have done?
you are awesome dude, what a trip you have done?
awesome! I am short of words for this feat.
it must have required a lot of planing, dedication to stay away from your dear ones..
frankly, i am out of words after reading this. i am still in the process of reading the whole log.
big thumbs up for you
Post a Comment